Gas Safety Certificates

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

Since 1998, The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulation has been in place requiring a landlord to ensure the property has a valid Gas Safety Certificate every 12 months. These must be carried out by a Gas Safer Registered engineer. This will require the engineer attending the property and testing all the Gas Appliances in the property.

How do I get a Gas Safety Certificate?

Our trusted contractor can attend the property by appointment with the tenant to carry out the checks for a cost of only £70, he can also service the boiler whilst on site for a further £15 (total £85) (Please Note: prices can vary if more appliances than usual are in present at the property).

What appliances will the engineer test?

The Certificate will consist of the engineers testing all the below items found in the house:

  • Gas Boiler
  • Gas Cooker
  • Gas Hob
  • Gas Oven
  • Gas Fireplaces
  • Gas Water Heaters

What will the engineer test for?

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • They will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets. i.e. Cooker Chains
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for the presence of Terminal Guards to prevent blockages to the flue.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

What happens if there is a problem?

Typically, the engineer will do one of two things.

  1. Disconnect the appliance and make safe until a repair or replacement can be carried out (There is usually a small charge for this).
  2. Repair or replace the appliance and reflect this on the Certificate (this is dependent on parts and costs being approved).

What if I don’t have a Gas Safety Certificate?

Failure to comply can lead to the HSE to issue either a fine or a custodial sentence.


For more information see: